WILDFIRE AND YOU
Although most of us have no intention of setting in motion the forces which could burn hundreds of homes, millions of acres of forest and affecting thousands of lives, each year we learn of devastating wildfires caused by careless behavior.
Facts on Fires:
- In 2011, there were 10,249 wildfires caused by lightning, but 63,877 wildfires caused by human error (as reported to the National Interagency Fire Center).
- In 2011, more than 8.7 million acres burned due to wildfires in the U.S. More than 5.4 million acres burned due to human-caused wildfires.
Common ways YOU could unintentionally start a wildfire
- unattended debris burning
- equipment fires such as from lawnmowers, ATVs, power equipment
- unattended campfires
- carelessly discarding fireplace or BBQ ashes
Approximate number of acres burned in the U.S. so far this year based on historical statistics.
Wildfires Burning Today
View current US Wildfires via
Get Your Smokey Mask!
Get your Smokey On Pledge
Click here to Sign In